Video | Fibromyalgia and The Chiropractic Approach
Chiropractic for Fibromyalgia:
Can It Help Relieve Symptoms?
In addition, chiropractic care could be an effective option for treating fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition. Chiropractors use gentle techniques to reduce stress and treat joint pain, leading to a better quality of life. Physical therapy, massage therapy, exercise, and chiropractic adjustments are common treatment options. Seeking help from an experienced chiropractor is recommended for those with fibromyalgia.
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition that lasts for three or more months without any known cause or other symptoms. Patients with the disease experience poor pain management and a significant reduction in productivity and quality of life. A systematic review shows that over 10 million people in the US have fibromyalgia. Women are more commonly affected than men, with a male to female ratio of 4:1, and middle-aged people are more susceptible to the disease.
What are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Aside from the typical chronic pain, fibromyalgia patients also suffer from headaches, fatigue, morning stiffness, menstrual pain, difficulty sleeping, numbness in the arms and legs, and intellectual thinking and memory problems.
How Can Chiropractic Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Many individuals with fibromyalgia are not aware that chiropractic care can be useful in alleviating the condition’s symptoms. Although patients may worry that chiropractic may exacerbate joint pain and tenderness, chiropractors have expertise in treating back, neck, and joint pain. Additionally, chiropractors understand that physical fitness plays a vital role in chronic pain management.
Dr. Matt utilizes various techniques that are gentle on individuals with severe pain, including chiropractic adjustments that will result in improved nervous system communication and pain reduction. Chiropractic care can also help reduce the stress that can trigger fibromyalgia attacks.
Fibromyalgia Treatment Options
Dr. Matt’s recommended treatment plan for fibromyalgia typically includes exercise, stretching to reduce stiffness and pain, chiropractic adjustments to improve communication with the nervous system, physiotherapy to minimize physical pain that can cause dysfunction and weakness, and massage therapy to reduce stress and improve mental health. Holistic approaches focused on enhancing the entire body can also help alleviate generalized pain requiring general rehabilitation.
Dr. Matt has the experience and knowledge to create the right treatment plan for optimal health and fibromyalgia. Chiropractic care can be a valid option for alleviating fibromyalgia symptoms and improving overall quality of life.
- Arnold LM, Clauw DJ, Dunegan LJ, Turk DC, FibroCollaborative. 2011 update of the American college of rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011 May;63(5):600-10. doi: 10.1002/acr.20497. PMID: 21520177.
- Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Häuser W, Katz RS, Mease P, Russell AS, Russell IJ, Winfield JB, Yunus MB. 2016 revisions to the 2010/2011 fibromyalgia diagnostic criteria. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016 Jun;46(6):319-29. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2016.08.012. Epub 2016 Aug 22. PMID: 27646699.
- Häuser W, Wolfe F, Tölle TR, et al. Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: results from a survey of the general population. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015 Mar;67(3):363-71. doi: 10.1002/acr.22466. PMID: 25103251.
- Busch AJ, Webber SC, Brachaniec M, Bidonde J, Dal Bello-Haas V, Danyliw AD, Overend TJ, Richards RS, Sawant A, Schachter CL. Exercise therapy for fibromyalgia. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2011 Oct;15(5):358-67. doi: 10.1007/s11916-011-0219-0. PMID: 21655935.
- Gatchel RJ, McGeary DD, McGeary CA, Lippe B. Interdisciplinary chronic pain management: past, present, and future. Am Psychol. 2014 Jan;69(1):119-30. doi: 10.1037/a0035512. PMID: 24377332.
You may also like:
Free Range Babies & Spinal Curve Development Chiropractic care fo...
Sitting is KRYPTONITE! You've heard sitting is the new tobacco. I...
Flu shots and The Chiropractic Approach. First, let’s take a look...
The Bugs. How America’s Bug Phobia is harmful and why focusing on...
Bra's and Underwear impact how our bits are hung! It is also impo...
The Movement Paradox: From DNA to Embryogenesis to Mitochondria. ...
Posture and Alignment: The Science behind Myelin & Why Chiropract...
Colicky Baby and The Chiropractic Approach. My Baby Is Unsettled ...
Broken Brains and The Chiropractic Approach The science behind th...