Video | Autism-SPD & The Polyvagal Theory & The Chiropractic Approach
Autism, Poly-Vagal theory!
Please watch the video and read on.
Autism is a complex neurodevelopmental disorder that affects communication, social interaction, and behavior. Although there is no known cure for autism, recent research has shown that the brain can be rewired through neuroplasticity. This discovery has provided tremendous hope for children with autism and their families.
The Polyvagal Theory and The Chiropractic Approach
The Polyvagal Theory, developed by Dr. Stephen Porges. It explains the nervous system regulates emotion and social engagement. The theory posits that the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) has three parts: the sympathetic nervous system, the parasympathetic nervous system, and the social engagement system.
The sympathetic nervous system is responsible for the fight-or-flight response. In addition, is triggered in response to danger. The parasympathetic nervous system, on the other hand, is responsible for the rest-and-digest response. The social engagement system is responsible for social interaction and communication.
In children with autism, the social engagement system is often underdeveloped. Next, leading to difficulties with communication and social interaction. By working with the social engagement system through practices such as chiropractic adjustments. Therapists and parents can help to improve communication and social interaction in children with autism.
Understanding Polyvagal Theory
– Polyvagal Theory explains the body’s responses to threats.
– Three stages of responses are: Social Engagement, Fight or Flight, and Freeze.
– The theory is based on the vagus nerve, which controls our physiological responses to stressors.
– The goal of therapy is to move the client from the fight or flight stage back to social engagement.
The Chiropractic Approach
– Chiropractic care focuses on the nervous system.
– Manual adjustments aim to improve nerve function throughout the body.
– This, in turn, can help regulate the body’s responses to stressors.
– Chiropractic treatment can help regulate the nervous system and improve overall wellbeing.
Integrating Polyvagal Theory and Chiropractic Care
– Chiropractors can use Polyvagal Theory to understand a patient’s stress responses.
– By assessing their nervous system response, chiropractors can tailor treatment to their individual needs.
– Chiropractic care can help regulate the body’s stress responses and promote social engagement.
– By combining Polyvagal Theory and chiropractic care, patients can achieve better health and wellbeing.
Therapists and parents can collaborate to enhance the wellbeing of children with autism. Finally, their families by comprehending the significance of neuroplasticity, the Polyvagal Theory, and the ANS in autism can find hope.
- Porges, S. W. (2007). The polyvagal perspective. Biological psychology, 74(2), 116-143.
- Porges, S. W. (2011). The polyvagal theory: Neurophysiological foundations of emotions, attachment, communication, and self-regulation. Norton & Company.
- Sahley, T. L., & Sprengel, R. H. (2006). Chiropractic treatment and autism: A case report. Journal of clinical chiropractic pediatrics, 7(1), 437-442.
- Esposito, M. F., & Schroeder, R. W. (2001). The use of cranial manipulation to treat children with autonomic dysfunction and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Alternative therapies in health and medicine, 7(4), 96-101.
- Biedermann, H., Svoboda, Z., Vodicka, D., & Homola, M. (1992). Effect of chiropractic treatment on speech and learning disabilities in children: A review of the literature. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics, 15(9), 587-593.
You may also like:
Broken Brains and The Chiropractic Approach The science behind th...
Infertility and The Chiropractic Approach Dr. Matt explaining the...
Posture and Alignment: The Science behind Myelin & Why Chiropract...
The Importance of Exercise and Body Positioning: Our Physical Env...
Understanding Growing Pains in Kids Children often experience gro...
Tongue Tie and The Chiropractic Approach. As a husband and wife C...
The 5 Senses & The Chiropractic Approach BREAKING NEWS! This is a...
Developmental Milestones & The Chiropractic Approach. In today’s ...
Sleep Switch and Chiropractic. How to Help Sleep Disorders Natura...